Local Sports Headlines – WT Spring Football Scrimmage on Saturday
The West Texas A&M football team wrapus up spring drills with a team scrimmage this Saturday at 10 a.m. at Kimbrough Memorial Stadium.
Spring drills have been going on for the last month under first year head coach Hunter Hughes. He has put together a quality staff of coaches who have had great experience regionally and nationally and the team welcomes back a number of key contributors from last season’s team, which posted its school-record 12th consecutive winning season in 2016.
“I think some positives so far in spring practice is it has been physical,” Hughes said. “I think the players have gotten accustomed to the physicality and the expectations of every practice in what we want to do. We have had some injuries and we have gone through the difference in pain and injury. I’ve seen a lot of improvement, we are a ways from where we want to be, but as long as we keep getting better every day, we will get there.”
It also is alumni weekend for the football program as a number of former Buff football players will be back in town at the game Saturday. The scrimmage is free and open to the public.
– The No. 16 West Texas A&M baseball team returns home to host Tarleton State in a Lone Star Conference series, beginning today at 3 p.m. at Wilder Park. A doubleheader is scheduled for Saturday beginning at 4 p.m., followed by a single game Sunday at 1 p.m.
– The WT softball team takes on Texas A&M-Kingsville this weekend in Canyon. The series will begin with a doubleheader on Saturday at 2 p.m. with a single game on Sunday at 1 p.m.
– High school baseball and softball teams are in action again today. In baseball, Tascosa hosts Midland; Palo Duro at Amarillo High; Caprock at Canyon; Randall at Plainview; Dumas at Hereford;
– Softball teams wrap up the regular season today with the final playoff berth from District 3-5A on the line. Amarillo High and Caprock are tied for that final postseason berth as the Lady Sandies play at Dumas and Caprock is at home against Hereford.
– Local track and field teams will be computing at Area Meets today. The 6A Area Meet is at Frenship while 5A teams will be at Randall High for the Area Meet. Yesterday, Bushland girls and boys won team titles at the 4A Area Meet.
– Delino DeShields had an RBI single with one out in the 13th inning to score Joey Gallo from second base and the Texas Rangers beat the Kansas City Royals 1-0 Thursday night. It was only the third game in the 24 seasons of the Rangers’ ballpark to go to extra innings scoreless.
– The Houston Astros took a 2-1 win over the Los Angeles Angels Thursday. At 11-5 the Astros are off to their best start since 2006.
– The Memphis Grizzlies snapped a 10-game postseason skid against San Antonio by routing the Spurs 105-94 Thursday night. The Grizzlies pulled within 2-1 in this first-round Western Conference series. Game 4 is Saturday night.
– The Dallas Cowboys will open the 2017 regular season in primetime against a familiar foe: the New York Giants. For the third straight year and fifth time in the last six seasons, the Cowboys and Giants will square off in Week 1 on Sunday night, Sept. 10, at AT&T Stadium. The defending NFC East champion Cowboys have five primetime games on this year’s schedule.
– The Houston Texans 2017 regular season schedule features four primetime games in Weeks 2, 5, 12 and 16. Bill O’Brien kicks off his fourth season as the Texans head coach with a season-opening matchup at home against the Jaguars on Sept. 10.