Football Season is Coming – Big 12 Announces All-Conference Team
The Big 12 Conference has announced its 2018 Preseason All-Big 12 Football Team and individual awards, chosen by media representatives who cover the league.
Selections for the preseason individual awards were quarterback Will Grier (West Virginia) as Offensive Player of the Year, defensive end Ben Banogu (TCU) as Defensive Player of the Year and defensive back Brendan Radley-Hiles (Oklahoma) as Newcomer of the Year.
Texas Tech had three players selected, all on defense. Linebacker Dakota Allen, and defensive backs Jah’Shawn Johnson and Justus Parker all made the team.
The Big 12 media preseason poll will be released today, followed by the annual Big 12 Football Media Days in Frisco, on July 16-17.
- The Oakland Athletics jumped on Lance McCullers Jr. early and cruised to an 8-3 win over the Houston Astros.
- The Boston Red Sox won their ninth straight game, a 4-2 win over the Texas Rangers to sweep a three-game series.
In other Major League results yesterday, two teams racked up 19 runs in posting wins.
Indians 19, Reds 4
Rockies 19, Diamondbacks 2
NATIONAL LEAGUE SCORES
Mets 3, Phillies 0 (10 innings)
Giants 5, Cubs 4 (13 innings)
Pirates 2, Nationals 0
Marlins 5, Brewers 4 (12 innings)
Dodgers 4, Padres 2
AMERICAN LEAGUE SCORES
Yankees 9, Orioles 0
Rays 4, Tigers 2
Mariners 3, Angels 0
Twins 8, Royals 5
Braves 9, Blue Jays 5
White Sox 4, Cardinals 0
- Dwight Howard officially signed with the Washington Wizards on Wednesday. The deal, reportedly for two years and $11 million with a player option for the second year, ends a busy few weeks for the 14-year veteran.
- There were some thrilling matches at Wimbledon yesterday in the men’s quarterfinals. South African Kevin Anderson pulled off the biggest surprise, knocking out top seed Roger Federer in five sets.
Three-time Wimbledon champion Novak Djokavic beat Japan's Kei Nishikori in four sets to reach the semi-finals for the eighth time.
Second seed Raphael Nadel edged Juan-Martin Del Potro in five close sets and American John Isner reached his first Grand Slam semifinal with a four-set win over Canada’s Milos Raonic.
The women’s semifinals are set for today with Angelique Kerber facing Jelena Ostapenko followed by Serena Williams against Julia Ger-ges.
- England scored early and led for much of the contest before Crotia pulled out a 2-1 victory in extra time in the World Cup semifinals yesterday. England missed several good opportunities to increase their lead in the first half and then With the win, Croatia will face France in the final and becomes the 2nd smallest country ever to play for a World Cup Soccer title.
- PGA Tour players hit the course today at the John Deere Classic outside Chicago. Amarillo’s Ryan Palmer is playing in the event.
- The Texas Girls Coaches Association has been holding its annual clinic this week in Arlington. Last night, the TGCA All-Star basketball game was played and Amarillo High Lady Sandie Ashlyn Milton had an outstanding game, scoring 12 points and hauling down 10 rebounds. Ashlyn was a key player for Amarillo High as they won the 5A state championship this past March. She will be a senior for the Lady Sandies this fall.