Red Raiders’ Player Win Big 12 Honor
Texas Tech redshirt freshman defensive back DaMarcus Fields was recognized as the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week on Monday.
Fields, a native of Taylor, Texas, sparked the Red Raiders early in their primetime tilt against Oklahoma State as he put Texas Tech on the board via a 95-yard interception return for a touchdown. The interception was the first of Fields' career. In addition to his interception, Fields also notched a career high five tackles along with a pass breakup in what was just his second career start in the secondary.
- West Texas A&M head football coach Hunter Hughes said yesterday that consistency is the biggest problem for the Buffaloes on offense. WT’s offense has had its moments this season but has also struggled for long stretches in games. Hughes said it’s frustrating because he sees that at times but the team just doesn’t execute at times. He hopes that changes this week as the Buffaloes head to Texas A&M-Kingsville on Saturday.
– West Texas A&M junior men's soccer standout Callum Challinor was named Heartland Conference Men's Soccer Player of the Week. Challinor scored three goals and added two assists in a pair of school-record breaking wins for the Buffs over the weekend. He had the game-winner in a 2-1 win at Lubbock Christian on Thursday evening and followed with two goals and two assists in the conference-record 13-2 demolishing at UT Permian Basin on Saturday afternoon.
- Tenth-ranked Amarillo High swept Caprock yesterday in high school volleyball.
Tonight’s schedule has Plainview at Palo Duro, Hereford at Canyon, Randall at Dumas, Perryton at Bushland, Tulia at River Road, and Childress at Highland Park.
- The new TGCA volleyball poll is out this week. In 5A Randall moved up to number six in the state after their upset of Amarillo High last week. The Lady Sandies fell to tenth. In Class 4A Bushland is ninth. Friona fell to 24th in Class 3A and Sanford-Fritch is up to number-two in Class 2A.
- Harrison Butker responded to his first-half miss Monday night by drilling three field goals in the second half, the last a go-ahead 43-yarder with 8 seconds remaining that helped Kansas City beat the Washington Redskins 29-20 and remain the only unbeaten team in the NFL. Alex Smith threw for 293 yards with touchdowns on the ground and through the air. The Chiefs improve to 4-0 while the Redskins fall to 3-2.
- Back in the playoffs for the first time in seven years, the Minnesota Twins will face New York in the AL wild-card game tonight hoping to turn around what has been a one-sided postseason rivalry.
New York eliminated the small-market Twins in the Division Series four times from 2003-10, repeatedly dashing the World Series aspirations of a largely homegrown lineup. Tbe Twins get another chance tonight in the AL Wild Card game.