Local Sports Headlines – Venom QB Wins POW Honor
The Champions Indoor Football League released its Players of the Week list for week eight and Amarillo Venom Quarterback Nate Davis was among the honorees.
Davis was named as the Offensive Player of the Week after a huge performance in the Venom’s road win at the Texas Revolution last week. He had seven touchdown passes, one touchdown run and 188 yards passing as Amarillo remained undefeated at 7-0 on the season.
The Venom play the Centex Calvary this Saturday, April 22nd at 7pm. This Saturday’s game is “Super Hero” night, highlighting our “true” Superheroes, First Responders and Dispatchers, by offering all first responders and dispatchers free tickets to the game.
– West Texas A&M sophomore infielder Kylee Moore has been named the National Division II National Softball Player of the Week. It marks the second straight week for a Lady Buff to pick up the award and the third this season. The sophomore went 7-of-9 at the plate to his .778 on the weekend with three doubles and three homeruns to drive in seven RBI with 19 total bases.
– The Lady are ranked second in the South-Central Region poll, the first released regional poll for the 2017 season. WT currently sits 35-8 overall with a 19-5 mark in Lone Star Conference play entering the last two weeks of the regular season. The top ranked Belles of Angelo State sit atop of the poll.
– Senior Shanice Cameron and freshman Fatim Affessi swept the Lone Star Conference women’s track & field weekly. Cameron was named the track athlete of the week after running one of the fastest times in the 100-meter dash in the nation while Affessi earned field athlete of the week honors after a record breaking performance in the long jump.
– More local athletes qualified yesterday for the UIL State Tennis Tournament next month. Tascosa’s mixed doubles team of Rebecca Ritchie and Avery Zavala finished second in the Region I-6A tournament Wednesday, qualifying them for the state tournament.
Borger’s Rachel Madden qualified for state in Class 4A. Madden won the third place match and a playback as well to finish second at the Regional Meet yesterday in Lubbock.
– The Oakland Athletics routed the Texas Rangers 9-1 yesterday. The Rangers went just 3-6 on the nine- game road trip and are now 5-10 on the season as they host Kansas City tonight.
– Dallas Keuchel threw seven solid innings, Josh Reddick finished a single shy of the cycle and the Houston Astros beat the Los Angeles Angels 5-1 last night. Keuchel allowed one run on eight hits with seven strikeouts.
– James Harden scored 35 points and the Houston Rockets overcame 51 points from Russell Westbrook in a triple-double, clawing back from a double-digit deficit for a 115-111 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder last night to take a 2-0 lead in the first-round Western Conference playoff series. Game 3 is Friday night in Oklahoma City.