Bulls’ Coach Nicholson Won’t Return Next Season – Sports Headlines
The Amarillo Bulls are losing their head coach after two seasons.
Matt Nicholson has accepted a position as an Assistant Coach at Niagara University, to be closer to family, especially his mother, who underwent brain surgery recently.
In his second season behind the bench, the Bulls showed a 24-point improvement in the South Division standings and narrowly missed the Robertson Cup Playoffs.
A search for a replacement is underway.
– Kevin Durant capped his spectacular first season with the Golden State Warriors by winning the NBA championship. Durant scored 39 points in 129-120 victory over LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 5 on Monday night in Oakland.
Stephen Curry added 34 points, 10 assists and six rebounds as Golden State closed out its second title in three years after squandering a 3-1 lead a year ago. James wound up with 41 points, 13 rebounds and eight assists. Kyrie Irving added 26 points.
– Yu Darvish pitched seven solid innings and Nomar Mazara hit a three-run homer to give the Texas Rangers a 6-1 win over the Houston Astros. Darvish allowed one hit and one run with three walks.
– The Astros have placed right-hander Lance McCullers on the 10-day disabled list with a back problem, another blow to a rotation already hit hard by injuries. General manager Jeff Luhnow says the team doesn’t expect it to lead to a “long absence” for McCullers, but he didn’t specify a specific timetable for his return.
– No. 1 national seed Oregon State will play Cal State Fullerton in the College World Series opener on Saturday. No. 4 seed LSU meets Florida State in the Saturday night game. On Sunday, No. 7 seed Louisville plays Texas A&M and No. 6 seed TCU faces Florida. Florida beats Wake Forest, 3-0, to earn final College World Series berth
– The Major League Baseball marathon that is known as the amateur draft began last night. The Minnesota Twins spent their No. 1 pick on speedy Royce Lewis, a slick-fielding shortstop out of JSerra Catholic High School in California.
- Cincinnati Reds: RHP Hunter Greene, Notre Dame High (Sherman Oaks, Calif.)
- San Diego Padres: LHP MacKenzie Gore, Whiteville (N.C.) High
- Houston Astros: RHP J.B. Bukauskas, North Carolina
- Texas Rangers: OF Bubba Thompson, McGill-Toolen High (Mobile, Ala.)
- Texas Rangers: SS Chris Seise, West Orange (Fla.) High