‘Tis the Season for Traffic and Construction Expect Slow Downs
Now that the Thanksgiving holiday is over and we are back into a normal work routine for the time being, we still have a lot of construction that will slow us down this week. Be especially careful if you are traveling I-27 into downtown Amarillo.
As we get closer to Christmas the traffic in Amarillo will increase and that means you need to be extra careful traveling through Amarillo. Here's the spots you need to be extra careful this week.
- Throughout the week, expect various lane closures in both directions on Interstate 40 as crews work on rip rap at Avondale Road and begin bridge joint repairs at Georgia and Crocket streets.
- Crews will be working behind the existing barricades on Interstate 27 at 26th Avenue Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 26 and 27. However, motorists should watch for trucks entering and exiting the construction zone.
- Monday, Nov. 26, the left lane of I-27 will be closed in both directions at the downtown interchange from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for painting. Once that side is painted, the right lane of I-27 will be closed in both directions during the same time period through Friday, Nov. 30.
- Monday, Nov. 26, crews will install rumble strips at the following locations:
- FM 2186 and Bushland Road (expected from 9 a.m. to Noon)
- FM 3331 and FM 1541 (expected from Noon to 4 p.m.
- Watch for various lane closures in both directions on US 87 between St. Francis Road and 15th Avenue for bridge deck repairs.
- Various lanes will be closed at the following intersections for installation of pavement markings:
- Washington Street and 46th and 58th avenues
- Amarillo Boulevard at Eastern and Grand streets
Please remember as mentioned above, since we are officially in the holiday season, traffic will increase in Amarillo. Please be careful, courteous and slow down in work zones.