Red Raiders Eliminated From NCAA Baseball Tournament
The "Super 16" of the NCAA Baseball Tournament is set after the final 10 regional champions were crowned throughout Monday. Now, the 16 teams to advance will continue their road to Omaha, Nebraska, with next weekend's super regionals.
Sam Houston State advanced to an NCAA baseball super regional for the first time, beating No. 5 national seed Texas Tech 4-3 for its second win in two days over the Red Raiders. Sam Houston State advances to Super Regional vs. Florida State
Texas A&M also moved on to the Super Regional Round, winning the Houston Regional. The Aggies move on to play Davidson next.
The Texas Longhorns season ended with a 2-1 loss to Long Beach State yesterday in the final of the Long Beach Regional.
TCU is the winner of the Fort Worth Regional, defeating Dallas Baptist 15-3. The Horned Frogs will meet Missouri State next weekend. Missouri State knocked off Arkansas to win the Fayetteville Regional.
- In softball, Oklahoma won a 7-5 marathon victory over Florida in Game 1 of the championship series on Monday night. The matchup between programs that have split the past four national titles was the longest championship series game in NCAA history. It lasted 5 1/2 hours, and all four pitchers threw more than 100 pitches. Oklahoma (60-9) can clinch a repeat championship Tuesday in Game 2 of the best-of-three series.
- The Houston Astros scored early and late to keep up their winning ways. The Astros beat the Kansas City Royals 7-3 for their 11th straight win. It's the longest winning streak in the majors this season and one shy of the Astros' record.
- The Texas Rangers are reeling since a big winning streak and have quickly fallen far behind in the AL West. After being swept by instate division rival Houston, the Rangers are already 15 games out of first place. The two-time defending AL West champion Rangers have lost 11 of 14 games since a 10-game winning streak last month. The last time they were so far behind this early in the season was 10 years ago. The Rangers host the NY Mets tonight.
- The Nashville Predators beat the Penguins 4-1 on Monday night to even the NHL Final series at 2-2. It's now a best-of-three sprint to the Stanley Cup, and Nashville is riding a wave of momentum after outscoring the defending champions 9-2 in Games 3 and 4. Game 5 is Thursday night in Pittsburgh.
- The first two games of the NBA Finals are the most-watched since Michael Jordan's final championship in 1998. Despite two lopsided outcomes, Golden State's two home wins over Cleveland averaged 19.6 million viewers, according to numbers released Monday by the Nielsen company. The Warriors' 132-113 victory on Sunday drew an average of 20.1 million viewers, the most for a Game 2 since Chicago and Utah met in 1998. Game 3 is coming up tomorrow night in Cleveland.