Lone Star Conference to add UT Tyler in 2019
The Lone Star Conference will be up to 20 members by this time next year.
League officials announced Monday that the University of Texas at Tyler will join the league on July 1, 2019. The Patriots will compete in the LSC for all sports beginning in the fall of 2019 and would become a full member of Division II in fall 2021 after completing a three-year provisional period in which the school transitions from D-III.
UT Tyler will join the league along with eight other schools which were announced last year. Those include Arkansas-Fort Smith, Dallas Baptist, Lubbock Christian, Oklahoma Christian, Rogers State, St. Edward’s, St. Mary’s, and Texas A&M International.
- Early season action continues High today for school volleyball teams. Among the matches are a couple of big rivalries - Amarillo High is at Tascosa and Randall plays at Canyon. First serve for each match is set for 7 p.m.
In other contests, Caprock and Palo Duro will take on teams from Dalhart and Dumas at Caprock.
River Road is at home against Perryton, Highland Park is at Borger.
Bushland will face Denver City and Kermit tonight in Denver City.
- Several teams from the area in the smaller classifications made the Associated Press preseason high football poll.
In Class 3A, Canadian and Childress made the top ten, with the Wildcats 3rd and the Bobcats 8th in the state.
In Class 2A, Wellington starts the season ranked fifth in the state, with Stratford receiving votes.
No area teams made the top ten or received any votes in the 6A rankings. In 5A, Lubbock Coronado received votes in the poll, as did Lubbock Estacado and Levelland in 4A.
- Bartolo Colon won his first start since setting the record for victories by a Latin American pitcher, going five innings to help the Texas Rangers beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 5-3. Robinson Chirinos hit a go-ahead, three-run homer in the fourth inning.
The Astros had the night off. They will host the Rockies tonight.
AMERICAN LEAGUE SCORES
Royals 3, Blue Jays 1
Tigers 9, White Sox 5
A’s 7, Mariners 6
NATIONAL LEAGUE SCORES
Braves 9, Marlins 1
Braves 6, Marlins 1
Cardinals 7, Nationals 6
Giants 5, Dodgers 2
Mets 8, Yankees 5
Indians 10, Reds 3
Angels 6, Padres 3
- The Dallas Cowboys have placed guard Marcus Martin on injured reserve with a toe ailment and taken defensive tackle Maliek Collins off the physically unable to perform list following offseason surgery for a broken foot.
Martin was injured in the preseason opener at San Francisco on Thursday. The fifth-year pro was among those battling for a backup job after signing a one-year deal with Dallas as a free agent.
Collins, who broke his left foot during an offseason practice in May, passed his physical Monday. The 2016 third-round pick has started 30 of 32 games for the Cowboys and is expected to be ready for the opener Sept. 9 at Carolina.
- Carmelo Anthony has signed a one-year, $2.4 million deal with the Houston Rockets. Anthony was traded from the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Atlanta Hawks last month before the Hawks released him.