Local Sports Headlines – Venom Stay Undefeated in Win over Duke City
For the first time in franchise history, the Amarillo Venom are 4-0 to start the season.
The Venom held on for a 62-59 win over Duke City at the Cal Farley Coliseum to stay undefeated. Amarillo looked on its way to an easy win after dominating the first half and jumping out to a 21 point halftime lead 38-17. However the Gladiators scored a quick touchdown out of the lockerroom and turned two Venom turnovers into scores to tie the
game at 38. The teams then traded scores the rest of the way before Donnie Duncan intercepted a pass in the endzone late in the game to keep the Venom in front and hold on for the win.
- The No. 8 West Texas A&M baseball team defeated UT Permian twice on Sunday at Wilder Park to complete a series sweep. The Buffs tooke the first game 5-3 and the second game, 2-0 to improve to 25-5 and 7-1 in Lone Star Conference play.
- Softball also had a sweep over the weekend as the 10th ranked Lady Buffs won all three games on the road at UT-Permian Basin. In winning both games on Saturday, WT slugged a combined total of 14 home runs.
- Head coach Dawn Staley and South Carolina won their first women's basketball national championship with a 67-55 victory over Mississippi State on Sunday night in Dallas.
Staley made the Final Four three times as a player at Virginia but never won. She also led the Gamecocks to the national semifinals two years ago before losing to Notre Dame.
Mississippi State had all the momentum on its side after a shocking win over UConn on Friday night that ended the Huskies' record 111-game winning streak. However, the Bulldogs couldn't muster the same effort against their SEC rival.
- The men's title will be decided Monday night as two number one seeds battle for the crown when North Carolina meets Gonzaga in Phoenix.
- Harrison Barnes scored 15 of his 31 points in the fourth quarter to lift the Dallas Mavericks to a 109-105 victory over the listless Milwaukee Bucks on Sunday.
- Kawhi Leonard had 25 points and seven assists, and the San Antonio Spurs held off the Utah Jazz 109-103 on Sunday in a matchup of teams headed to the playoffs. San Antonio is second in the Western Conference behind Golden State.
-The Houston Rockets sent the Phoenix Suns to their 12th straight loss with a 123-116 victory Sunday night despite not having James Harden in the lineup. Harden was ruled out with acute viral syndrome, the team announced before the game. He had not missed a game all season
- The Major League Baseball season is underway. The reigning World Series champion Chicago Cubs opened up with a 4-3 to the Cardinals. In other games, the Rays topped the Yankees 7-3 and the Diamondbacks edged the Giants 6-5.
The Texas Rangers start the season tonight at home against Cleveland. The Houston Astros are also at home to start the season against the Seattle Mariners.