Local Sports Headlines – Lady Buffs Preparing for Elite Eight
The West Texas A&M Lady Buffs have one more day to prepare to face the number one team in Division Two women's basketball.
WT battles undefeated Ashland University Tuesday at 5 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio. The Lady Buffs are making their third Elite Eight appearance in the last four years.
- The 4th-ranked WT baseball team ended up with a split of its four-game road series at 8th ranked Angelo State over the weekend. After losing the first two games, the Buffs bounced back to take the last two games of the non-conference matchup.
- In softball, the Lady Buffs and 2nd ranked Angelo State had three great pitchers duels with the Rambelles winning the first two games 1-0 before WT won the final game 3-0 in 8 innings. The Lady Buffs are now 8-4 in Lone Star Conference play.
- Midwest top seed Kansas and South #1 North Carolina moved into the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament with wins on Sunday.
The Jayhawks pulled away for a 90-70 victory over Michigan State, while the Tarheels beat Arkansas 72-65.
East 2nd seed Duke was not as fortunate. The Blue Devils were bounced from the tournament by 7th seed South Carolina 88-81.
Baylor 82, Southern California 78
Michigan 73, Louisville 69
Kentucky 65, Wichita State 62
Oregon 75, Rhode Island 72
UCLA 79, Cincinnati 67
Sweet 16 matchups
Michigan vs Oregon
Gonzaga vs West Virginia
Kansas vs Purdue
Arizona vs Xavier
Baylor vs South Carolina
North Carolina vs Butler
UCLA vs Kentucky
Wisconsin vs Florida
- The Women's Tournament takes the spotlight tonight with more 2nd round games. Number one seeds UConn and Baylor are in action tonight after fellow top seeds Norte Dame and South Carolina both advanced on Sunday.
- In the NBA on Sunday, Dirk Nowitzki had 23 points and the Dallas Mavericks beat the Brooklyn Nets 111-104 Sunday.
The San Antonio Spurs rolled to a 118-102 victory over the Sacramento Kings Sunday night.