Coffee Memorial Blood Center Draws Attention To Blood Shortage
It's part of the International Missing Type campaign.
Donating blood is one of the simplest gifts you can gift to another human. The hour it takes to donate blood could provide years of healthy life to someone in need.
Unfortunately, blood stores have been running low. So Coffee Memorial Blood Center joined forces with the International Missing Type campaign.
This is why you've seen some funny titles on our Facebook page and confusing fill-in-the-blanks on our Twitter. The idea is that by taking out all of the A's, O's, and B's, which are all blood types, we will draw awareness to the importance of donating blood.
Here are some important facts about blood that you might need to know before you consider donating:
- O+ blood is the most common type in the United States
- AB- can accept any blood type
- AB- is also the least common blood type in the United States
- Your blood type is determined by the presence or absence of antigens on the surface of your red blood cells
- Blood type is passed on genetically, like eye color
You can head to thegiftoflife.com, which is the Coffee Memorial Blood Center website, for more information about #MissingType. Keep your eyes peeled for more of our posts, which could be missing those key letters.