Budweiser Partnership Begins at Ross Rogers
One of the most popular and long-running golf competitions in the area begins today.
The annual Budweiser Partnership Tournament begins today at the Ross Rogers Golf Complex in Amarillo.
The top seeded team in the championship flight is Andrew Brewer and Kent Neal. The pair combined for a 139 total in yesterday’s qualifying. Brewer fired a 67 to tie for low round of the day with Tyler Paige, who is part of the second seeded team with Michael Casey. Paige and Casey qualified with a 140 total.
The team of Casey Weiss and Jud Hightower is seeded third with John Dawson and Jimmy Jameson.
- At the PGA John Deere Classic, Steve Wheatcroft leads after round one. Wheatcroft fired a 9-under 62 and has a one stroke lead over Michael Kim.
Ryan Palmer is tied for 26th after shooting 4-under 67.
- Oklahoma was chosen to finish at the top of the standings for the third consecutive year in the Big 12 football preseason poll, voted on by media representatives.
This year marks the sixth since 2011 in which the Sooners have led the preseason rankings.
OU garnered 46 of the 52 first-place votes. West Virginia was chosen second with TCU, Texas and Oklahoma State rounding out the top five. The Mountaineers received two first-place nods while TCU and UT had one each. Kansas State was predicted to finish sixth, claiming two first-place votes followed by Iowa State, Texas Tech, Baylor and Kansas.
- Texas Tech baseball head coach Tim Tadlock has been recognized as the 2018 D1 Baseball National Coach of the Year.
It's the second time Tadlock has earned a national version of the award. He was also honored after the program's first trip to the College World Series in 2014 by the College Baseball Hall of Fame. The 2018 award comes on the heels of Tech's third trip to the CWS in five years.
- West Texas A&M baseball has announced another recruit to the program.
The Buffaloes have added right-handed pitcher Chandler Dean for the 2019 season.
Dean joins the Buffs following two seasons at Northeast Texas Community College in Mt. Pleasant, Texas. Dean led the Eagles in wins (10), complete games (3) and innings (81.1) this past season while ranking second on the team in strikeouts with 51. The talented right-hander went 10-2 on the season with a 4.32 ERA.
- Oakland's three-run eighth inning lifted the Athletics to a 6-4 win over the Houston Astros.
The Texas Rangers had the night off. Texas is at Baltimore tonight…
AMERICAN LEAGUE SCORES
Red Sox 6, Toronto 4 (10 straight wins)
Angels 11, Mariners 2
Yankees 7, Indians 4
Twins 5, Rays 1
NATIONAL LEAGUE SCORES
Pirates 6, Brewers 3
Rockies 5, Diamondbacks 1
Dodgers 3, Padres 2
Nationals 5, Mets 4
Phillies 5, Orioles 4
- Serena Williams became the first mother in 38 years to reach the Wimbledon final, with a 6-2 6-4 demolition of Germany's Julia Goerges on Thursday. Williams will go for an eighth women’s singles title on Saturday against Angelique Kerber, who rolled past Jelena Ostapenko 6-3, 6-3 in the other semifinal yesterday. Williams last title came iun 2016 in a win over Kerber.
- The men’s semifinals will be played today at Wimbledon. South African Kevin Anderson and American John Isner meet in a pairing of big servers. The second semifinal is a blockbuster matchup between Raphael Nadal and Novak Djokavic.