Wrong Vacant House Demolished In Fort Worth
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A city-hired contractor has been blamed for tearing down the wrong vacant house in a North Texas neighborhood.
Fort Worth City Councilman Dennis Shingleton said Wednesday that city officials are investigating.
The owner of the wrongly demolished house says city officials have asked him to evaluate what the 1951 structure was worth for a possible settlement
David Underwood hadn’t been to the 1,300-square-foot house — with the utilities shut off — for several weeks. Underwood and his wife last Saturday drove by and discovered a slab instead of the three-bedroom home.
A condemned vacant house nearby that was supposed to have been demolished last week was still standing.
Code enforcement officials Thursday did not immediately return a message on whether the correct house has since been torn down.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.