Texans, Cowboys Set to Open the Preseason
The Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys hit the field tonight in their first preseason games.
The Texans play at the Kansas City Chiefs while the Cowboys play at the San Francisco 49ers.
Although Texans coach Bill O'Brien declined to specify his plan for Deshaun Watson's playing time Thursday night against the Chiefs, he said the quarterback is "more likely" than not to make his preseason debut.
If Watson plays, he's expected to make a brief appearance, perhaps a series or two before giving way to backup Brandon Weeden and third quarterback Joe Webb.
Watson tore his anterior cruciate ligament last season, but has made a full recovery and has practiced every day at training camp.
- Justin Thomas will defend his title as the PGA Championship gets underway today. the race for the Tour Player of the Year is wide open and this week at Bellerive in St. Louis will go a long way to setting up what should be an exciting and pivotal FedExCup Playoffs.
Thomas is paired with an elite group that includes Tiger Woods and Rory McElroy for the first two rounds.
- Eligibility for players who aren't selected in the NBA draft could be restored based on a landmark decision from the NCAA on Wednesday.
Several changes related to amateur status and eligibility are being put in place by the NCAA, including allowing "elite" high school players and all college players to work with endorsed player agents.
Adopting recommendations made by the commission on college basketball was convened in response to a federal recruiting probe engulfing Louisville, Arizona and other top programs. The NCAA plan is to establish a pool of certified agents who can advise players on their futures starting with high school seniors.
- Joey Gallo homered twice and drove in four runs, Yovani Gallardo won his fourth straight start and the Texas Rangers held off the Seattle Mariners 11-7 to take the rubber game of the series. Gallardo leads the majors with seven wins since June 23.
The Rangers open a four-game road trip at the NY Yankees tonight.
- The Astros had last night off and open up a four-game home series tonight against the Mariners.
AMERICAN LEAGUE SCORES
LA ANGELS 6 Detroit 0
Boston 10 TORONTO 5
Baltimore 5 TAMPA BAY 4
CLEVELAND 5 Minnesota 2
NY Yankees 7 CHICAGO WHITE SOX 3
NATIONAL LEAGUE SCORES
NY METS 8 Cincinnati 0
Pittsburgh 4 COLORADO 3
ARIZONA 6 Philadelphia 0
Atlanta 8 WASHINGTON 3
St. Louis 7 MIAMI 1
MILWAUKEE 8 San Diego 4
KANSAS CITY 9 Chicago Cubs 0
OAKLAND 3 LA Dodgers 2
- Devin Harris is returning to the Dallas Mavericks for the third time after signing a $2.4 million free agent contract. The Mavericks announced the deal with the 14-year veteran. He started his career with the Mavericks in 2004, then was traded to New Jersey in February 2008. Harris returned to Dallas as a free agent before the 2013-14 season. The Mavs traded him to Denver last February.