The source of the botulism outbreak in Amarillo that left four sick has been identified.

The City of Amarillo, DSHS, DPH, EH and the CDC have all agreed the source of the outbreak came from a contaminated homemade food item.  All four patients reported eating the contaminated food source.

The culprit was a traditional Middle Eastern dish called Turshi.  The dish is fermented and it is believed that conditions in the dish were ideal for the botulism toxin production and bacteria growth.

No restaurants of commercial food products have been linked to the outbreak.

Two of the victims remain hospitalized.