Report: Cowboys Plan to Release QB Tony Romo Today – Sports Headlines
A person with knowledge of the decision tells The Associated Press that the Dallas Cowboys will release quarterback Tony Romo when the NFL year opens today.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the team hasn’t announced a decision on Romo, who will get a chance to pursue a starting job elsewhere.
Romo will leave the Cowboys as the franchise leader in yards passing and touchdowns after losing the starting job to rookie Dak Prescott. Dallas’ 10-year starter broke a bone in his back in a preseason game last year. He threw for 34,183 yards and 248 touchdowns, but could never match the postseason success of Super Bowl winners Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman
– No. 10 seed Texas rallied for a 61-52 victory over No. 7 seed Texas Tech on Wednesday night in the opening round of the Big 12 Tournament.
The Longhorns struggled most of the game from beyond the arc, only to heat up when it mattered most. And that was enough to send a team that had lost seven straight into a quarterfinal against No. 11 West Virginia on tonight.
Keenan Evans had 11 points and Anthony Livingston and Matthew Temple scored 10 apiece for the Red Raiders (18-14), whose NCAA Tournament hopes have evaporated over the past few weeks.
– Eighth-seeded TCU rolled to an 82-63 win over No. 9 seed Oklahoma. The Horned Frogs will play top-ranked Kansas in the quarterfinals tonight in Kansas City.
– The San Antonio Spurs rallied without Kawhi Leonard to beat the Sacramento Kings 114-104 last night. San Antonio won its ninth straight and extended its league record for 50-win seasons to 18 straight, the longest in league history.
The Utah Jazz beat the Houston Rockets 115-108.
– The Happy Cowboys have made it to the Class 1A state championship game. Happy rolled past Borden County Thursday morning in San Antonio 51-27. The Cowboys improve to 25-5 on the season and will face the winner of the second semifinal between Lipan and Dime Box. The championship game will be played Saturday at 8:30 A.M.
– Local high school baseball teams begin play today in the Randy Keller Memorial Tournament. Games will be played at all four AISD campuses over the next three days as well as Randall High and Canyon High. Games start at noon today. The schedule has Tascosa hosting Palo Duro, Amarillo High at home against Alamogordo, Caprock hosts Perryton, Dumas and River Road meet at Palo Duro, Randall hosts Borger and Canyon is home against Bushland. Another round of games will be held at 3 p.m. this afternoon at each of those sites.
– The Amarillo Bulls begin a three-game series against Shrevport tonight at the Civic Center. The teams will also meet Friday and Saturday on the Bulls home ice.
– The West Texas A&M Athletic Department is joining with the WT Agriculture Department as the baseball and softball teams will #PlayForThePanhandle this weekend at Wilder Park and Schaeffer Park. The teams will collect donations and supplies for those affected by the ongoing tragic wildfires in the Texas Panhandle. There will be a donation area located outside of the main entrance to Wilder/Schaeffer Park as fans are encouraged to help those affected by providing monetary contributions or basic necessities. Any person that provides some sort of donation will receive free admission to any contest at the Buffalo Sports Park this weekend. Any member of a local fire department will be welcomed into the facility free of charge.