MTV’s ‘Buckwild’ Star Shain Gandee Found Dead at 21
Terrible, shocking news to report this afternoon that we sadly wish was an April Fools prank, but is instead all too real. 21 year-old West Virginia native Shain Gandee, memorable star of MTV’s freshman reality series ‘Buckwild‘ was found dead this morning in a vehicle, along with several others identified as his uncle, and an unidentified third man. The cause of death has yet to be reported, but we’ll bring continued information on this bizarre, and tragic story inside.
Shain Gandee, the memorable breakout star of MTV’s West Virginia teen reality series ‘Buckwild’ is reported to have died, after being labeled missing approximately 31 hours ago. The body of the 21-year old star was found in a four-wheeler vehicle with his uncle, 48 year-old David Gandee, and an as-yet unidentified third male. No cause of death has yet been released for any of the men.
According to reports, David and Shain Gandee last told people they were going four-wheeling in a sport utility vehicle, and were observed in Sissonville location Larry’s Bar at approximately 3:00 A.M. Sunday. At this point, it remains unclear where the men intended to ride.
MTV previously renewed ‘Buckwild’ for a second season, and has yet to release a statement on Gandee’s death. The latest tragedy is the second major scandal for the series, after the recent arrest of cast member Salwa Amin for possession of Oxycodone.
We’ll update with further information on the tragic death of Shain Gandee and the others present in the vehicle as the day goes on. Rest in peace, Shain.
UPDATE – 2:00 P.M EST – MTV has released an official statement on Shain’s death that contains no additional information, but did explain that cast member Cara Parrish had earlier Monday tweeted, “It sure is hard to find someone when they take off if they don’t believe in cell phones,” adding the hashtag “#I’mGoingToPlantAGPSInShain.”
A spokesperson for MTV said in a statement, “We are shocked and saddened by the terrible news about Shain Gandee, and those involved in this tragic incident. We are waiting for more information but at this time, our main concern is for the Gandee family and their friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. Shain had a magnetic personality, with a passion for life that touched everyone he met and we will miss him dearly.”
UPDATE 2 – 5:00 P.M. EST – TMZ is reporting that carbon monoxide poisoning was the most likely cause of death for Shain Gandee and the others in the car, based on the fact that the truck was partially submerged in mud, making the bodies difficult to retrieve. Sources connected with the investigation point out that the exhaust pipe may have been submerged, filling the vehicle with the deadly gas.
Charleston, West Virginia Mayor Danny Jones has called for the show’s cancellation, telling TMZ “Of the few cast members on the show already two have had legal issues and now one has died. The show only enhances the negative stereotype the Kanawha Valley already has. I hope the show’s life is short.”
Subscribe to The Voice of Amarillo on