Longhorns and Raiders Collide in 3-5A Football
The District 3-5A football race enters week two tonight with Caprock hosting Randall.
Both teams lost district openers last week and hope to avoid an 0-2 start to the district campaign.
Longhorns head coach Dan Sherwood said this week his team did some good things in the 42-20 loss to Amarillo High, rushing for almost 400 yards in the game.
Randall head coach Gaylon Selmon was not as complimentary of his team following a 31-7 loss last week to Dumas. Selmon said the offense has got to find some consistency and the team overall needs to be more disciplined.
Fans can follow live coverage of the game tonight here on Newstalk 940 KIXZ beginning at 6:30 P.M.
– The Thursday NFL matchup has the New England Patriots at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. New England is 2-2 after a stunning last-second loss to the Panthers in Foxboro last week. Tampa Bay is 2-1 on the season after edging the Giants last week.
– Relief pitcher Archie Bradley hit a triple in the seventh inning, driving in two and Arizona went on to beat the Colorado Rockies 11-8 in the National League wild-card game Wednesday night.
Paul Goldschmidt launched an early three-run homer and the Diamondbacks built a 6-0 lead before ace Zack Greinke faltered. Colorado climbed back into it and cut it to 8-7 when Nolan Arenado and Trevor Story hit back-to-back homers. But the Diamondbacks scored three times in their half of the eighth to finally put it away
Arizona advanced to a best-of-five Division Series against the NL West champion Dodgers, a team the Diamondbacks beat the last six times they played. Game 1 is Friday night in Los Angeles.
– Red Sox lefty Chris Sale makes his first postseason appearance when he starts against Astros righty Justin Verlander in Game 1 of the AL Division Series at Minute Maid Park. Sale led the majors with 308 strikeouts while going 17-8 with a 2.90 ERA for Boston. Verlander excelled after being traded from Detroit to Houston, winning all five starts for his new team with a 1.06 ERA.
– Manager Terry Francona has opted to start Trevor Bauer in Game 1 at Cleveland, rather than dominant Corey Kluber. Francona said part of his decision is so he can use his best pitcher – Kluber – in a potential Game 5. Sonny Gray will start the opener tonight for New York.
– The Texas Rangers are changing bullpen coaches are a rough season for the relievers. Bullpen coach Brad Holman is not returning next season, and first base coach Hector Ortiz will take over that role. The Rangers have exercised their option on manager Jeff Banister’s contract for 2019.
– West Texas A&M and Eastern New Mexico played to a scoreless draw in Lone Star Conference women’s soccer last night in Portales, N.M. WT is now 2-0-3 in the LSC. The Lady Buffs return home to host Midwestern State tonight at 7 p.m. at The Pitch.
The men’s soccer team is at Rogers State tonight.