Local Sports Headlines – Playoffs Set to Begin for WT Basketball Teams
West Texas A&M basketball teams are set to start the NCAA Division 2 Tournaments this weekend.
The Lady Buffs are the 4th seed in the women's South Central Region Tournament and will face No. 5-seed Regis University tonight on the campus of Colorado State-Pueblo. Tip is scheduled for 9 p.m. CT. Fans can follow the game live on 98.7 JACK-FM with pregame beginning at 8:45 p.m.
The 3rd seeded WT men's teams will open the South Central Region Tournament on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. CT in Golden, Colorado against 6th seed Texas A&M-Commerce. The two teams split their regular season series with each team winning on their home court. That game will also be broadcast on 98.7 JACK-FM.
- The WT baseball and softball teams are home this weekend. The 15th ranked baseball teams hosts #10 ranked Texas A&M-Kingsville in a three-game series. First game is at 6:30 tonight at Wilder Park.
The Lady Buff softball team takes on Western New Mexico in a four-game series, beginning at 5 p.m. at Shaeffer Park in Canyon.
The teams will be raising funds and taking donations for those affected by the recent wildfires. There will be a donation area located outside of the main entrance to Wilder/Schaeffer Park as fans are encouraged to help those affected by providing monetary contributions or basic necessities.
- West Texas A&M junior Rellie Kaputin finished second in the long jump on Thursday during the first day of competition at the NCAA Division II Indoor Track & Field Championships in Birmingham, Ala. With her second place finish, the Lady Buffs sit in fifth place with eight points after three events.
- It was another impressive showing by a basketball team from the Texas Panhandle area at the UIL Boys State Tournament in San Antonio today. The Clarendon Broncos rolled past Thorndale 59-35 in the Class 2A semifinals. The Broncos improved to 31-2 and will meet #1 ranked Muenster in the championship game on Saturday at 1:30 P.M.
Yesterday the Happy Cowboys beat Borden County 51-27 to move into the 1A championship game. They will face Lipan for the title Saturday morning at 8:30 A.M.
- Desmond Bane hit three free throws with 2.5 seconds left to help TCU stun top-ranked and no. 1 seed Kansas 85-82 in the Big 12 quarterfinals yesterday in Kansas City. The eighth-seeded Horned Frogs will play 4th seed Iowa State in the semifinals. The Cyclones topped Oklahoma State yesterday.
The 3rd seeded Baylor Bears were also sent packing as 6th seed Kansas State beat Baylor 70-64. 2nd seed West Virginia eliminated Texas 63-53.
- The Randy Keller Memorial Baseball Tournament began yesterday with the four Amarillo ISD teams and the two Canyon ISD teams all participating. Tascosa split a pair of games, defeating Palo Duro 5-2 but losing to Amarillo HIgh 14-3. The Sandies also won over Alamogordo 11-5. Palo Duro also lost to Perryton 14-8. Canyon won two games, 13-3 over Bushland and 19-0 over River Road. Randall didn't allow a run in their two wins and gave up just four hits, shutting out Borger 10-0 and Bushland 13-0.
The tournament continues today and tomorrow at each AISD and CISD teams home field.
- The Amarillo Bulls opened a three-game home series with Shreveport on Thursday night on a losing note. The Mudbugs beat the Bulls 4-2. The teams meet again tonight at 7 p.m. at the Civic Center.
- The Amarillo Venom open the Champions Indoor Football League season on Saturday at the Duke City Gladiators. The teams had a three intense games last season with the Venom winning the last two matchups.