Local Sports Headlines – McGuire Scholarship Winners Honored
Tascosa’s Julio Diaz and Palo Duro’s Taeana Fisher have been named winners of the John McGuire Memorial Scholarships at a ceremony Monday at Polk Street United Methodist Church.
The scholarship honors a boy and a girl from each Amarillo ISD high school and is funded by Amarillo Downtown Kiwanis. Both winners receive $1,500 while the other six nominees receive $750 each.
The other nominees were Peyton Stafford and Kaki Simpson of Amarillo High, Gayleen Leos and Manny Gatkek of Caprock, Nathan Stotts of Palo Duro and Laura Dicun of Tascosa.
- The Girls UIL State Golf Tournaments began yesterday in Austin. The Memphis girls golf team leads the 2A team standings after the first day by five shots. Wellington is third after day one. In the medalist competition, Maycee Blades of Memphis shot a 77 and is one stroke off the lead. Ashley Watts of Wellington fired a 78 and is fourth.
In Class 1A, Happy girls team is fifth after the first day while Fort Elliott is seventh. Shaley Goad of Fort Elliott is second in the medalist race after shooting an 80 yesterday. She is two off the lead.
In Class 4A, Bushland’s Briss Graham shot a first round 80 yesterday. She is 10 back of the leader but only four shots out of second place.
– Seven members of the West Texas A&M Lady have been named to the All-South Central Region teams announced yesterday. The six Lady Buffs on the First Team will now move onto the national ballot for a chance to become a D2CCA All-American. Kylee Moore, Kourtney Coveney, Shea Ibrahim, Ashley Hardin, Allie Smith and Kilee Halbert were named to the All-South Central Region First Team while Shanna McBroom picked up Second Team honors following a standout freshman campaign.
- The Boston Celtics used a big fourth quarter to outlast the Washington Wizards 115-105 in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals Monday night. Boston advances to the Eastern Conference finals, where it will host the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 1 on Wednesday.
- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has ruled Kawhi Leonard out for Game 2 of the Western Conference finals tonight. Leonard left Game 1 on Sunday against Golden State after re-injuring his tender left ankle in the third quarter and didn’t return. The Warriors took advantage to come back and win in overtime 113-111.
- Short on sleep, the Houston Astros finally stirred in the sixth inning last night when Yuli Gurriel hit a grand slam to help beat the Miami Marlins 7-2. The Astros arrived at their hotel at 5 a.m. after a doubleheader in New York against the Yankees.
- The Texas Rangers had the night off Monday but received some bad news on one player who will miss significant time with an injury. The Rangers said Centerfielder Carlos Gomez will be out four to six weeks with a hamstring injury. He will be placed on the 10-day disabled list before Tuesday's game against Philadelphia.
- Authorities in Texas say rookie Kansas Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes escaped injury after being robbed last weekend.
The Smith County, Texas, Sheriff's Office says Mahomes and three other victims were stepping from a vehicle on a driveway outside Tyler on Friday night when a suspect approached and gestured he had a handgun in his waistband. Investigators say the man took property from the victims and sped away. Deputies later arrested two suspects and recovered items taken during the holdup.
Smith County sheriff's Sgt. Darrell Coslin told The Associated Press that the robbery appeared random, and that Mahomes was not targeted.
Mahomes played at Texas Tech and last month was selected by the Chiefs with the 10th pick in the first round of the NFL draft.