Local Sports Headlines – Both WT Basketball Teams in the Sweet 16
Both West Texas A&M basketball teams have made it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Division Two playoffs.
The Lady Buffs will face 2nd seed Angelo State in the championship of the Women's South Central Region Tournament in Pueblo, Colorado Monday at 8
p.m. WT made it to the final with a thrilling overtime win over top seed and host team Colorado State-Pueblo on Saturday 70-67. Live coverage of the game
begins at 7:45 P.M. on Townsquare Media station 98.7 JACK-FM.
The Buffaloes took a big lead in the Men's South Central Region semifinal Sunday night against Texas A&M-Kingsville and never gave it up in a 76-64
win. The Javalinas cut it to seven in the 2nd half but that would be as close as they would get. The WT men will play in their first regional final
since 1998 against top seed Colorado Mines in the championship game Tuesday night in Golden, Colorado. That game will also be broadcast live on 98.7 JACK-FM.
- Defending national champion Villanova is the top overall seed for the NCAA Division I men's basketball championship. The 31-3 Wildcats will be in the East Region.
Joining Villanova in the East is 2nd seed Duke, 3rd seed Baylor, and 4th seed Florida.
In the Midwest, Kansas is the top seed followed by 2nd seed Louisville, #3 Oregon and 4th seed Purdue. Big 12 Tournament champion Iowa State is the
5th seed in the Midwest.
North Carolina grabbed the top spot in the South with Kentucky 2nd, UCLA 3rd and Butler the 4th seed.
Gonzaga heads up the West along with 2nd Arizona, 3rd seed Florida State and 4th seed West Virginia.
Newcomers to the tourament include Northern Kentucky, Jacksonville State, North Dakota, UC-Davis and Northwestern, which is the last longstanding
member of a major conference to reach the Big Dance.
Things get going with the First Four games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, with the full tournament field joining in on Thursday with first round
- There was supposed to be a showdown between nationally ranked Division-2 ranked baseball teams West Texas A&M and Texas A&M-Kingsville over the
weekend, but it turned out to not even be close. 15th ranked WT swept all four games from 10th ranked Kingsville, outscoring the Javalinas 37-4 in
the series, including three shutouts. The Buffs are now 16-2 on the year.
- The WT softball team was even more dominating in sweeping Western New Mexico in a four-game series. The Lady Buffs racked up a total of 50 runs
in the four games and held Western New Mexico to just four runs in the series. WT is 22-4 on the season and 7-2 in Lone Star Conference play.
- Both Texas Panhandle area boys teams at the UIL State Basketball Tournament had to settle for silver medals on Saturday. Happy fell to Lipan while Clarendon lost to Muenster in state championship games in San Antonio.
- The Amarillo Venom started the Champions Indoor Football regular season with a heart-stopping overtime road win at Duke City 70-69. The Venom will open the home portion of the regular season this Saturday at the Civic Center against the Dallas Marshals.
- James Harden had another triple-double to outduel fellow MVP contender LeBron James and lead the Houston Rockets to a 117-112 win over the
Cleveland Cavaliers on Sunday night. Harden had 38 points in his 16th triple-double this season.