Local Coaches Win State Honors
Several local coaches won honors Monday night at the Texas Girls Coaches Association Summer Clinic in Arlington.
Amarillo High’s Jeff Williams was named the Basketball Coach of the Year after the Lady Sandies won the 5A state title with a 40-2 record.
Kirk Stokes of Amarillo High volleyball was named the Sub-Varsity Coach of the Year.
Randall High’s Rebekah James won the Cross-Country Coach of the Year award after leading the Lady Raiders to another state championship last fall.
- The Oakland Athletics won 2-0 over the Houston Astros yesterday.
Houston starter Gerrit Cole struck out 11 and scattered three singles across six scoreless in a no-decision.
- The Texas Rangers lost 5-0 to the Boston Red Sox. It was the seventh straight win for the AL East-leading Red Sox.
Rangers starter Mike Minor gave up two runs on six hits and struck out four in a 5 1/3-inning loss. Texas lost for the sixth time in eight games.
AMERICAN LEAGUE SCORES
Orioles 5, Yankees 4 (Game 1)
Yankees 10, Orioles 2 (Game 2)
Twins 3, Royals 1
Rays 10, Tigers 9 (10 innings)
NATIONAL LEAGUE SCORES
Pirates 6, Nationals 3
Marlins 4, Brewers 3 (10 innings)
Mets 4, Phillies 3 (Game 1, 10 innings)
Phillies 3, Mets 1 (Game 2)
Giants 2, Cubs 1 (11 innings)
Dodgers 8, Padres 2
Reds 7, Indians 5
- The Houston Rockets are now determined to sign forward Carmelo Anthony after forward Luc Mbah a Moute joined the Los Angeles Clippers on a one-year, $4.3 million deal on Monday, according to an ESPN report. Anthony is currently a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder, but the two sides are reportedly working on parting ways, whether through a trade, a buyout or waiving via the stretch provision. Anthony is likely to become a free agent even if he is traded, as his new team would likely waive him.
- Luka Doncic has signed his rookie contract with the Dallas Mavericks that will pay the third overall pick $5.5 million next season. The 6-foot-7, 220-pound Doncic is set to make $6.4 million in his second season with the Mavericks.
- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Marquez White has been indicted on a count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in what he described as a road-rage incident in a Dallas suburb. The 23-year-old White said in a statement to his hometown newspaper, the Dothan Eagle in Alabama, that a motorist became angry with White as he drove home in October. White says he pulled a handgun when the motorist appeared to be reaching for his own.
- Seven-time champion Serena Williams prevailed in a Centre Court mothers' meeting on Monday, roaring past Russian qualifier Evgeniya Rodina and into the Wimbledon quarter-finals. The 36-year-old American won easily, a 6-2 6-2 victory -- her 90th singles match win at the All England Club.
Past Grand Slam winners Angelique Kerber and Jelena Ostapenko also moved into the quarterfinals, which will be played today.
On the men’s side, top seed Roger Federer and 2nd seed Raphael Nadal both advanced along with former winner Novak Djokavic. The men’s quarters will be played tomorrow.
- The World Cup Soccer semifinals begin today in Russia. This afternoon, France battles Belgium with a spot in the championship on the line. The winner will play the winner of tomorrow other semifinal contest between Croatia and England.