Lawsuit Settled In Death Of Man Infected By Amoeba
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The parents of a Louisiana man whose death in 2011 was linked to a rare brain-eating amoeba have settled their lawsuit against the manufacturers of two household devices that they blamed for their son’s deadly infection.
Settlement terms weren’t disclosed in a federal judge’s order that dismissed the wrongful death lawsuit on Oct. 15.
Last year, Jeffrey Cusimano’s parents sued NeilMed Pharmaceuticals Inc., maker of a “neti pot” that the 28-year-old used to clean his sinuses with water. They also sued Rheem Manufacturing Co., which made a water heater in his home.
Their lawsuit claimed defects in both devices allowed Cusimano to become infected by Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic organism that recently was found in St. Bernard Parish’s water system.
Both companies say their products did not have any defects that would have caused the infection.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.