Komodo Dragon At San Antonio Zoo Dies In Fire
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — San Antonio firefighters say a Komodo dragon has died in a fire at the local zoo.
Authorities tell KSAT-TV (http://bit.ly/198E2Tm ) that a San Antonio Zoo employee smelled smoke around 6 a.m. near the reptile area. Zoo officials found that one of the Komodo dragons had died in the fire.
Other animals were safely evacuated from the smoke.
According to National Geographic, Komodo dragons can grow to 10 feet long and more than 300 pounds, making them the heaviest known lizards. They are considered an endangered species.
Authorities continue to investigate how the fire started.
Information from: KSAT-TV, http://www.ksat.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.