Fire In Amarillo Apartment Building Fueled By Abandoned Mattresses
The Sungate Apartments in Amarillo went up in flames due to an unknown source, but kept burning because of a room filled with old mattresses.
At about 9:30 this morning, the Amarillo Fire Department responded to a fire at Sungate Apartments on Virginia Circle. Firefighters found a room full of discarded mattresses that was intensifying the fire. It took thirty minutes to put out the blaze.
A resident of Sungate said that people had left their used mattresses in front of the apartment previously. According to a maintenance worker, people are supposed to dispose of the mattresses.
Fortunately, there were no injuries and the only inhabited unit in building 25 was unaffected by the fire.
Read the full story here.