Christmas Eve Apartment Fire Appears To Be Arson
An unoccupied apartment caught fire around 2:30am on Christmas Eve. Since the apartment was vacant, authorities are investigating the fire as the potential work of an arsonist.
The Amarillo Fire Department responded in the early morning hours to the apartments at the 800 block of S. Jackson Street.
A full second alarm was called which brought many other equipped vehicles to the scene. Fortunately our fire department responded quickly and they were able to contain the fire to the one unoccupied apartment. Residents for adjoining apartments were evacuated safely.
Damage is estimated at $5,000 in structural damage and another $500 in fire and smoke damage to contents.