Ever Wondered How Many Calories You Burn While Shopping? We Have the Answer
A survey by Walls Solero Exotic reveals that women burn 15,000 calories a year shopping. Read on for other findings.
- 10% of shoppers eat 1,000 calories per shopping trip
- Women walk an average of 180 miles shopping per year
- 33% of women snack while shopping
- 33% of women are self-conscious in changing rooms
- Annual retail shopping trips equate to 7 marathons
- Only 10% of clothes tried on in dressing rooms get bought
- 10% of women shop everyday
Reader's Digest has some tips about grocery shopping that will make you go "hmm":
- Shopping carts are getting bigger so you can put more in them. “We doubled their size as a test, and customers bought 19% more,” explained Martin Lindstrom, marketing consultant and author of Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy.
- More than 50% of shoppers decide NOT to buy an item in the checkout lane. To counter that, grocery stores are making the checkout lanes narrower and with less space to dump stuff before you buy. They figure that if you can't dump it, you'll buy it.
- 10 for 10 promotions aren't smart. “We’ll take an 89-cent can of tuna and mark it ‘ten for $10,’ and instead of buying six cans for 89 cents, people will buy ten for $10,” explains Jeff Weidauer. A former grocery executive.
For more interesting facts, go to Consumerist.com.
Thanks to United Supermarkets for NOT doing that stuff!!