Buffs Try to Get Offense Going Again
West Texas A&M football coach Hunter Hughes said mental mistakes are putting the Buffaloes offense in bad positions and that is really hurting the offensive production during games.
The Buffs have had a hard time moving the ball in recent weeks, especially on the ground. Injuries haven’t helped the situation, with eleven players seeing time on the offensive line so far this season. Hughes said they have gotten away from doing the little things they were doing to stay in games earlier in the season, something the team will be working on in practice this week.
WT will host Adams State in the 2017 homecoming game this Saturday at 5 p.m.
– The Lady Buffs continue Lone Star Conference volleyball action on Tuesday night as they head to Odessa, Texas to take on the Falcons of UT Permian Basin. WT is 4-4 in the LSC, with one of those wins over UTPB back on October 19th in Canyon. The Falcons go into the match with a 1-7 record.
– The WT women’s soccer team lost a heartbreaker yesterday. Just 49 seconds into the first overtime, Oklahoma Baptist scored the game’s only goal, handing visiting West Texas A&M a 1-0 loss and snapping the Lady Buffs’ unbeaten streak at six games.
– Local high school volleyball teams are back on the court tonight as district play continues. The biggest match will be at Canyon High where the Lady Eagles host 6th-ranked Randall. The Lady Raiders are 9-0 in District 3-5A, one game in front of Amarillo High. Canyon is tied for third with Dumas and Hereford.
The rest of the schedule for local teams has Amarillo High at Hereford, Palo Duro at Caprock, Bushland at home against Dalhart, Highland Park at River Road, Holy Cross Catholic hosting Wichita Falls Notre Dame and San Jacinto Christian at Lubbock Trinity Christian.
– Randall, Amarillo High, Bushland and Sanford-Fritch volleyball teams continue to be ranked in the top ten in the state in this week’s Texas Girls Coaches Association poll.
Randall is 6th and Amarillo High 10th in 5A, Bushland is now number-one in Class 4A, and Sanford-Fritch is 2nd in Class 2A.
– Justin Verlander led Houston to its first AL Championship Series, as the Astros rallied past the Boston Red Sox 5-4 in Game 4 of their playoff matchup. Houston will open the ALCS on Friday, either at Cleveland or at home against the New York Yankees. The Indians and Yankees will play a decisive Game 5 of their ALDS on Wednesday night after NY beat Cleveland 7-3.
– The Dodgers moved on to the NLCS by completing a sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks with a 3-1 win last night. LA will take on the winner of the Cubs-Nationals series. Chicago leads that NLDS 2-games to 1 after yesterday’s 2-1 win. Game four is tonight at Wrigley Field.
– On Monday night football last night the Vikings edged the Bears 20-17. Minnesota is now 3-2 while Chicago falls to 1-4.