Buffs Break Losing Streak with Homecoming Win
West Texas A&M is celebrating a homecoming win over Adams State on Saturday 17-14.
The Buff defense forced five turnovers and the offense broke out of a slump to break a three-game losing streak.
Safety Chazz Slatinsky came up with three of those turnovers. The Junior picked off two passes and recovered a fumble.
WT tallied 360 yards of offense in the game with 189 yards on the ground and 171 through the air. Quarterback Justin Houghtaling went 14 of 23 with one interception, while rushing for a score. Running Back Warren Witherspoon had a career-high 160 yards rushing on 18 carries with a touchdown.
The Buffs head on the road next Saturday night (Oct. 21) as they travel to Midwestern State for the annual Highway 287 Challenge Cup game at 8 p.m. in Wichita Falls.
- Texas Tech fans are still lamenting the Red Raiders 46-35 loss at West Virginia on Saturday. Tech managed to blow an 18-point 2nd half lead and falls to 4-2 on the season and 1-2 on the season.
– Alabama is number one and Penn State number two after a wild weekend of upsets gave the Top 25 a major makeover. A season-high seven ranked teams, including four in the top 10, lost to unranked teams. Defending national champion Clemson and defending Pac-12 champion Washington were the highest ranked teams to lose. Georgia is now No. 3, TCU is No. 4 and Wisconsin is No. 5.
- Deshaun Watson threw for 225 yards and three touchdowns to become the first rookie in NFL history to have at least three TD passes in three straight games. He helped give the Houston Texans a 33-17 win over the Cleveland Browns. Watson has thrown 15 touchdown passes this season. It's the most in NFL history by a rookie in a team's first six games.
- Justin Turner hit a three-run drive with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, and the Dodgers beat the Chicago Cubs 4-1 on Sunday to take a 2-0 lead in the NL Championship Series. The dominant Dodgers are two wins away after Turner drove in all four runs in Game 2 to keep Los Angeles unbeaten in the postseason.
- The New York Yankees will try to overcome a 2-0 deficit against the Houston Astros when the best-of-five AL Championship Series resumes. New York rallied from a 2-0 hole last week to beat Cleveland in the Division Series. CC Sabathia starts for the Yankees in Game 3. He was 9-0 in 10 starts during the regular season after New York losses. Charlie Morton starts for Houston, which is seeking its second World Series appearance and first since 2005.
- A goal off a flurry of shots by Angelo State in the 89th minute handed West Texas A&M a heartbreaking 1-0 loss Sunday afternoon at The Pitch. The Lady Buffs suffer their first Lone Star Conference loss of the season.