Boy With Rare Brain Infection On Ventilator
MIAMI (AP) — Family members of a 12-year-old Florida boy who was infected by a rare and deadly amoeba say they’re trusting in God despite being told by doctors that the boy’s brain isn’t showing any activity.
In a Facebook posting Sunday, Zachary Reyna’s family said they respect the doctor’s protocol but we “believe God will step in on his time irregardless of what has been said.”
Reyna was infected while knee boarding with friends in a ditch near his family’s LaBelle home Aug. 3.
His uncle, Homer Villarreal, says doctors warned the boy had extensive brain damage. He says Reyna’s parents planned to take him off the ventilator and donate his organs. But it’s unclear whether they’ve done so.
A spokeswoman for Miami Children’s Hospital says there was no update Monday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.