Tuesday evening Amarillo firefighters were called to the Pepper Tree Apartments at 2601 Linda.

When fire crews arrived smoke was pouring out of a third-story window on the east side of building "D".  Residents were in the process of self-evacuating as the fire department arrived.

Crews located the fire in a bedroom of a third-floor apartment and were able to extinguish the blaze within 30 minutes.

A family of four were in the apartment when the blaze broke out.  One family member alerted the rest of the family and all were able to escape safely, with the exception of the father who was treated on scene for minor smoke inhalation.  He was not taken to the hospital. The family did lose a pet rabbit in the fire.

The response by the Amarillo Fire Department included two alarms, five engine companies, one ladder company and two command vehicles.  Early damage estimates are around $60,000.  The Fire Marshal has not determined the cause of the fire.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.